ysabdeluxe

My training school went bankrupt and they did not provide a 1098-T. What do I need to do if I do not get a 1098-T from school?

My training school went bankrupt and they did not provide a 1098-T. What do I need to do if I do not get a 1098-T from school in time to file taxes. What do I need to submit an amendment. 

GeoffreyG

We are sorry to hear that.  Unfortunately, sometimes these things happen.

However, if your school was running an accredited program (either academic or trade skills), then you're still in luck, at least as far as taking an educational tax benefit goes.  In other words, you can still claim the tax benefit, even if you did not receive (or will never receive) a formal 1098-T statement.  Here's how:

Tell TurboTax, from the very beginning of the program, in the Personal information section, that yes, you were indeed a student in the current tax year.  Continue to work through the program.  When you get to the Federal Deductions section, you'll reach the interview section where you're asked a question about your educational expenses.  From here, you'll tell the program that "No," you didn't receive a 1098-T, but that "Yes," an exception applies to you.  (Please see the attached screenshots below this text answer for actual images captured from TurboTax; note that your computer screen may look slightly different.)

At the point when you've answered that you have an exception to the lack of a 1098-T (a bankrupt school certainly qualifies), then you can enter the data that you do have.  Presumably, you can look to your own historical checking account records, or some other receipts you may have, to know the actual dollar amount you paid your school for the relevant calendar year.  It may take doing some basic math, but you should have access to what you need.

If, however, you've already filed your tax return, and forgot to include the (missing) 1098-T information, then you're left with the choice of amending your tax return, or not.  If the educational tax benefit will improve your refund, then you should amend.  If not, then don't.  Please find below a link to a TurboTax webpage for the current year amendment process.  We will keep that page updated throughout the tax filing season.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-my-2016-turbotax-online-return

You can also see:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

Thanks for asking your important question.

GeoffreyG

You can also see: