tsmgklover

My student loan was paid with my refund. How to i get them to stop garnishing my wages?

PhyllisG

You will have to contact the lender who issued the loan, or you will have to call the Department of Education to confirm that the loan has been fully paid. The Department of Education toll free number is 1-800-621-3115, follow the prompts to speak to a representative.

Please note that it does take 3-4 weeks for an offset to post. If the Department of Education has utilized one of their collection agencies to collect the outstanding student loan, then they will need your employer's fax number to have the wage garnishment released.

However, if a third party lender disbursed the loan, then as previously stated, you will have to contact the lender to have the garnishment released. The Department of Education will not have the information on file to release the garnishment.

[Edited 02.27.19 | 5:06PM]

PhyllisG

[Edited 02.27.19 | 5:06PM]

PhyllisG

Please refer to the edited version dated February 27, 2019 at 5:06 pm.  I have added additional information.