turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tnormanii

My son is enrolled in High School and College "dual enrollment". I had to buy a PC for classes? Can I deduct the PC as an education expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

My son is enrolled in High School and College "dual enrollment". I had to buy a PC for classes? Can I deduct the PC as an education expense?

The IRS has provided the following guidance (that applies for the American Opportunity Credit) on claiming computers for education credits:

• Q7. Does an expenditure for a computer qualify for the American opportunity tax credit?
  • A7. Whether an expenditure for a computer qualifies for the credit depends on the facts. An expenditure for a computer would qualify for the credit if the computer is needed as a condition of enrollment or attendance at the educational institution.

See this discussion.

Merely because a computer is convenient or even very helpful doesn't make it "needed as a condition of enrollment."  If in doubt, review the college catalog or course syllabus for a statement that a computer is required.

529 plan requirements are less stringent, and the cost of a computer may be an eligible cost to be paid from a Sec. 529 plan.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

The IRS has provided the following guidance (that applies for the American Opportunity Credit) on claiming computers for education credits:

• Q7. Does an expenditure for a computer qualify for the American opportunity tax credit?
  • A7. Whether an expenditure for a computer qualifies for the credit depends on the facts. An expenditure for a computer would qualify for the credit if the computer is needed as a condition of enrollment or attendance at the educational institution.

See this discussion.

Merely because a computer is convenient or even very helpful doesn't make it "needed as a condition of enrollment."  If in doubt, review the college catalog or course syllabus for a statement that a computer is required.

529 plan requirements are less stringent, and the cost of a computer may be an eligible cost to be paid from a Sec. 529 plan.

Also the student must be at least a 1/2 college student to qualify for the American Opportunity Credit. That is the only credit that allows a computer to be claimed as an expense. The AOC can only be claimed for a total of 4 tax years, so you might not want to use one of the 4 years for the computer even if he is qualified to claim it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies