Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vtmccoy

"My daughter is a college student. She made $14,797 working in NY at college. She made approximately $6200 in Vermont where she's from. What should I put for residency?"

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

"My daughter is a college student. She made $14,797 working in NY at college. She made approximately $6200 in Vermont where she's from. What should I put for residency?"

Generally, you're a resident of a state if you don't intend to be there temporarily.  It's where home is – where you come back to after being away on vacation, business trip, or school.  If she intends to return ''home'' to Vermont when she is done with college, she is a resident of Vermont.  She would be a non-resident of NY if she is only there for college and intends to return to VT after graduation.  

She can file a non-resident tax return for her earnings in NY.   File the nonresident NY return first so any credits for tax paid to NY can be captured on her resident Vermont tax return.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Generally, you're a resident of a state if you don't intend to be there temporarily.  It's where home is – where you come back to after being away on vacation, business trip, or school.  If she intends to return ''home'' to Vermont when she is done with college, she is a resident of Vermont.  She would be a non-resident of NY if she is only there for college and intends to return to VT after graduation.  

She can file a non-resident tax return for her earnings in NY.   File the nonresident NY return first so any credits for tax paid to NY can be captured on her resident Vermont tax return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies