CAC5

My daughter go American Opportunity tax credit last year, why isn't the software showing it?

I entered "1" to the question, How many prior years did your child receive the American Opportunity tax credit.  But when I review the 8863 tax form, it shows that my daughter did not get it in past years and follows a different path on form 8863.  It looks like the software has a programming error.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Hal_Al

Nothing needs fixing. Form 8863 does NOT show how many times the American Opportunity tax credit (AOTC) has been claimed, in the past. It only indicates (on line 23) whether it has already been claimed 4 times (a yes or no check box). In your case, line 23 should be checked NO.

Actual wording from the form:

23  Has the Hope Scholarship Credit or American opportunity credit been claimed for this student for any 4 tax years before 2019?
Yes — Stop! Go to line 31 for this student.

No — Go to line 24.

CAC5

Thanks so much!