Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My college was paid over $24K total, $12,500 of my own money, remaining $12K a scholarship. Both are on 1098-T (box 1&4) so it looks like I only paid $500. What do I do?

I’m wondering if I just list what I paid on my taxes and keep the scholarship section blank, since the $12,500 is in excess of what I got in my scholarship. Or do I change it and list the $24,000 total in section one and include the scholarship as is? If I put the 1098-T info in as is, it looks like I barely paid $500 of my own money.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

My college was paid over $24K total, $12,500 of my own money, remaining $12K a scholarship. Both are on 1098-T (box 1&4) so it looks like I only paid $500. What do I do?

Box 4 on a 1098-T is "Adjustments for a prior year".

The credit is based on Box 1 (what was paid) and Box 5 (scholarships received). 

If 24,000 was paid and you received a 12,000 scholarship, Box 1 should be 24,000 and Box 5 should be 12,000. 

The credit is based on a Calendar year. If you paid in December 2021 for classes that started in January 2022, that amount paid could only be claimed in Tax Year 2021.

You need to look at the Student School Account Statement and match the payments to the year paid. 

If you can clarify what was actually PAID in 2022, what is reported in Box 1 and Box 5, and what the adjustment was for, we might be able to help you further. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

The 1098-T is only an informational document. The numbers on it are not required to be entered onto your tax return. However receipt of a 1098-T frequently means you are either eligible for a tuition credit or possibly your student has taxable scholarship income. 

If you claim the tuition credit, you do need to report that you got one or that you qualify for an exception (the TurboTax interview will handle this)

You claim the tuition credit, or report scholarship income, based on your own financial records, not the 1098-T. In the 1098-T screen, click on the link "What if this is not what I paid the school" underneath box 1. You will then be able to enter the actual amounts paid. You will also reach a screen that allows you to adjust the scholarship amount for "amounts not awarded for 2021 expenses".

Or if you find it easier, just change the numbers in boxes 1& 5 to what your records show. The 1098-T that you enter in TT is not sent to the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies