Yes, but there are conditions.
Yes. You are eligible to claim the Lifetime Learning Credit if all of the following requirements are met:
- You (or your dependent or a third party) paid qualified education expenses for higher education.
- You paid the education expenses for an eligible student.
- The eligible student is you, your spouse, or a dependent you claim an exemption for on your tax return.
- Your modified adjusted gross income is less than $67,000($134,000 if you are married filing jointly).
- The credit is reduced between $57,000 and $67,000 ($114,000 and $134,000 MFJ).
To qualify, students must attend an eligible institution. Almost all accredited public, nonprofit and for-profit postsecondary schools (including many trade schools) fit this description. To make sure a school is eligible, go to fafsa.gov and verify that it has a Federal School Code.