mdlablover2

Is there a maximum income level for a teacher who wants to get the tuition tax credit for classes taken to renew state teaching certificate?

I took 2 graduate classes in 2018 as I needed to renew my MD state teaching certificate.  I tried to deduct the cost of these classes on my tax return but Tubo Tax stated that I was not eligible for an education deduction or credit possibly due to the following:  my income exceeds the maximum limit or there were no net qualified education expenses.  How can I find out exactly why I cannot get this tax credit? I thought classes that were used for a professional certification/continuing education as a teacher qualified for a tax deduction in Maryland.

KrisD

Here is the phase-out for the Lifetime Learning Credit. 

Lifetime learning credit.   “For 2018, the amount of your lifetime learning credit is gradually reduced (phased out) if your MAGI is between $57,000 and $67,000 ($114,000 and $134,000 if you file a joint return). You can't claim the credit if your MAGI is $67,000 or more ($134,000 or more if you file a joint return).”                                                    

See chapter 3 Pub 970

The state credit does not have an income limit, but you would address this credit on the state return. 

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

KrisD

See chapter 3 Pub 970