turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

American opportunity credit and lifetime learning credit: How do I do override TuirboTaxes selection of the American Opportunity credit?

This year I cannot claim my son as a dependent due to his income so he can claim either the lifetime learning credit or the American Opportunity credit. The American Opportunity credit is worth more this year than the lifetime learning credit.  

I cannot claim the lifetime learning credit due to income even if I claimed my son as a dependent.  In 2019, the American Opportunity credit will be worth more than it is worth this year and it will be the 4th year of eligibility.

I want to override Turbo Taxes election of the American opportunity credit and I want to select the lifetime learning credit.

How do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

American opportunity credit and lifetime learning credit: How do I do override TuirboTaxes selection of the American Opportunity credit?

If you are not claiming your son as a dependent this year, then you do not qualify to claim his education expenses. You should not list him on your tax return either.

If you would like to override claiming the American Opportunity credit and claim the Lifetime Learning credit on your son's tax return, then follow the directions provided by TurboTax LindaA below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5778356

In the directions above click on Tax Tools in the left-side menu instead of My Account.

[Edited 02/19/2019 I 9:47 PM]

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

If you are not claiming your son as a dependent this year, then you do not qualify to claim his education expenses. You should not list him on your tax return either.

If you would like to override claiming the American Opportunity credit and claim the Lifetime Learning credit on your son's tax return, then follow the directions provided by TurboTax LindaA below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5778356

In the directions above click on Tax Tools in the left-side menu instead of My Account.

[Edited 02/19/2019 I 9:47 PM]

KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

I have edited the answer above.

How do I make this change if I have TurboTax installed on my PC?
lz305r

How do I make this same change if I'm trying to amend my 2015 tax return using TurboTax 2015 installed on my PC?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies