Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jesse-h11

If I was paid under 5000 for employee tuition reimbursement, do I need to include this in the scholarship section?

According to the IRS website, it isn't taxable, but TurboTax appears to deduct from my federal return when I do enter the tuition reimbursement amount. see: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch11.html
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MichaelDC

If I was paid under 5000 for employee tuition reimbursement, do I need to include this in the scholarship section?

There's pre tax reimbursement and after tax reimbursement.

By law your employer can only give you $5250 maximum, tax free. If your tuition was less than that, and you employer reimbursed it all; it’s safe to assume it does not need to be reported. You do not even need to enter your 1098-T if you have one. You have nothing to claim.

If you got more than $5250, the amount above $5250 is usually already included in box 1 of  your w-2, as income.  Since you have essentially paid tax on that part, it  is considered your after tax money and that amount can be used  to claim the tuition credit.

If you have no out of pocket costs, you cannot claim the education credits.  If, for some reason, you left your job and were required to return pay to your employer, then you could claim the credit at that point.  Anything that you're not on the hook for (i.e. scholarships, grants, employer reimbursement) cannot be used towards qualifying funds for the education credits.

The amount that you can use for education credits is the total amount of tuition and fees paid (box 2 on the 1098) minus the amount of grants or scholarships (box 5 on the 1098) minus any amounts directly paid for by the employer, or reimbursed by the employer.

See IRS Topic 513 - Educational Expenses for further discussion: http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc513.html

In TurboTax, you should report the amount spent/billed for tuition and fees on the 1098-T, regardless of who paid it.  The employer reimbursement amount should then be entered on the Scholarships/Grants screen on the Employer assistance line.  

So if your employers assistance program requires someone being reimbursed to pay the company back if they leave, you can claim the credit? Or you have to wait until you’ve left and are filing the next year to claim the credit?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies