Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mikate1

If I received a 1098-T and have info in boxes 1 & 5 meaning we didn't actually pay is my child still eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If I received a 1098-T and have info in boxes 1 & 5 meaning we didn't actually pay is my child still eligible for the Lifetime Learning Credit?

What do you mean you didn't actually pay? 

What is in Box 1 (Tuition paid) and Box 5 (Scholarships) 

If Box 1 is larger than Box 5, you may get a credit.

If Box 5 is larger than Box 1, you might owe tax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mikate1

My child took college level classes through her high school and because of this we received a 1098-T.  The tuition was paid with a grant and I didn't actually pay anything.  I'm also confused on how I am supposed to answer the question Was my child working on an Associate, Bachelor's or Graduate degree.  

mikate1

The amount in box 1 and the amount in box 5 equal each other.  

mikate1

I'm thinking I don't have to enter the form since they offset and I wouldn't get the deduction for the Lifetime Learning Credit.  

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. I'm thinking I don't have to enter the form since they offset and I wouldn't get the deduction for the Lifetime Learning Credit?

A. That's correct.  The 1098-T is only an informational document.  There is no requirement to enter the numbers on your tax return. 

You cannot claim a credit, because you are not "out-of-pocket".

You may have read of a "loop hole", in this forum, for claiming a credit, by having the student pay tax on the scholarship. That's not applicable in your situation. The scholarship is "restricted" to being used for tuition. 

mikate1

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking.  This will make things much easier!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies