I work overseas but my income is paid from my company in California. I spend time at both residences but my family stays at the Louisiana when I am at work. My spouse does not work or have an income. I currently file a Louisiana tax return.
"Domicile" (the tax term) is complicated. Examples of questions you should ask are:
- Where are you most of the time,
- Where is your driver's license issued,
- Where is your auto registered,
- Where are you registered to vote,
- Where are you permanently employed,
- Where do you own property,
- Where do your children attend school,
- Where is your family, etc.