sarie0812

If I have paid student loan interest reported on my 1098-E form (box 1), am I also required to submit a Schedule 1 form or is that optional?

I am aware that I am eligible for another tax deduction via paid student loan interest, and I am trying to figure out the benefit of paying for the Delux Turbo Tax edition to get this benefit versus saving that money and skipping this step.  But I also want to know whether I will be filing inaccurately and risk a fine for choosing not pay the extra for the schedule 1 tax form.
AlanT

No, you do not have to claim the student loan interest deduction.  It is your benefit to accept or decline.  If the benefit does not justify the cost of the upgrade, you do not have to take the student loan deduction.