• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
svoet101

If I am a Job Corps student, should I put that i am a full time student on my Taxes?

I had a reduction for a IRA investment before I put full-time student, But I would like the reduction if I am not actually considered a full-time student.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If I am a Job Corps student, should I put that i am a full time student on my Taxes?

No, you are not a student for tax purposes.  While there is no doubt that you are receiving an excellent technical training with the Job Corps, it is not considered a school for this purpose.  Part of the reason why is that you do not pay for your education like you would for a college.  Thus, your IRA deduction should be allowed if you otherwise qualify.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No, you are not a student for tax purposes.  While there is no doubt that you are receiving an excellent technical training with the Job Corps, it is not considered a school for this purpose.  Part of the reason why is that you do not pay for your education like you would for a college.  Thus, your IRA deduction should be allowed if you otherwise qualify.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v