Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to open a 529 acct with me as beneficiary, move unused funds from my son's 529 that he doesn't need, to pay my student loan. Will that create tax liability?

I have exhausted all forgiveness options with no success. It would be approximately $7000.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I want to open a 529 acct with me as beneficiary, move unused funds from my son's 529 that he doesn't need, to pay my student loan. Will that create tax liability?

You can rollover your son's 529 plan to a new 520 plan with you as beneficiary. This rollover isn't taxable as it is a rollover for the benefit of a beneficiary's family member.

See this IRS document on page 53.

You can then use your 529 plan to pay your student loans up to a lifetime limit of $10,000 without having to pay taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. I want to open a 529 acct with me as beneficiary, move unused funds from my son's 529 that he doesn't need, to pay my student loan. Will that create tax liability?

A. No.

Check with your plan administrator.  It may be a simple matter of just changing beneficiaries in the existing plan. 

There are no tax consequences or penalties when a 529 plan beneficiary is changed to a member of the beneficiary’s family. Qualified family members include the beneficiary’s:

1. Spouse
  2. Son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, adopted child or a descendent 
  3. Son-in-law, daughter-in-law
  4. Siblings or step-siblings
  5. Brother-in-law, sister-in-law
  6. Father-in-law, mother-in-law
  7. Father or mother or ancestor of either, stepmother, stepfather
  8. Aunt, uncle or their spouse
  9. Niece, nephew or their spouse
  10. First cousin or their spouse

https://www.savingforcollege.com/article/how-to-change-the-beneficiary-on-your-529-plan

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies