turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid 2,000 towards my oldest sons college expenses, Can i or Should I claim this?

for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I paid 2,000 towards my oldest sons college expenses, Can i or Should I claim this?

In order to claim a tuition credit or deduction, the student must be your dependent.  If he does not qualify as your dependent, he may count the $2000 you paid toward claiming the credit on his return*.  If he is some other person's dependent (e.g. other parent) that person may claim your $2000 to get the credit for himself.  It's one of the very few times you can count other people's money to claim a tax credit.

* A full time unmarried student, under age 24, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit, on his own return,  if he supports himself by working (earned income).

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If you paid fees during 2019 and IF you are claiming the student as a dependent, take the expense. If you are NOT claiming the student as a dependent, you can NOT claim the expenses. 

Here is a wealth of information by the IRS at this education-credits-questions-and-answers link.

You claim education expenses the year they are incurred. Often, parents will pay for the upcoming semester in December of the year before classes begin. 

Any money spent in 2018 would need to go on a 2018 return. You can amend your return by following this link for amending instructions. Often parents will forego the first semester of college in order to possibly claim 4 full years of credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies