Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to deduct continuing education mileage. Where do I put it and how do I figure out an amount if I know the mileage?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I need to deduct continuing education mileage. Where do I put it and how do I figure out an amount if I know the mileage?

The mileage rate is the standard business rate of $0.575. 

Continuing Education. The general rule is: Educational expenses to improve your current job skills are deductible. But learning a new job is not.

If you're self employed, you can deduct, as a business expense, on schedule C. If the courses were taken at a recognized college or vocational school (educational institutions eligible to participate in the student aid programs administered by the Department of Education),  you can take either the Lifetime Learning Credit or the Tuition & fees deduction (but not the Hope  or American Opportunity credits) If the above doesn't apply, you can deduct as an employee expense,  an itemized deduction subject to the 2% of AGI threshold.

In TurboTax enter at:
Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-I'll choose what I want to work on

-Scroll down to:

--Employment Expenses

---Job related expense

You can also deduct the mileage if you go directly from your work site to the school. You cannot deduct the mileage from school back to home, unless the schooling is considered temporary (expected to last less than 1 year and actually does last less than 1 year). 

NOTE: The new tax law eliminates all miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% of AGI limitation, including that one, for 2018 through 2025. The deduction was still available for 2017.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

The mileage rate is the standard business rate of $0.575. 

Continuing Education. The general rule is: Educational expenses to improve your current job skills are deductible. But learning a new job is not.

If you're self employed, you can deduct, as a business expense, on schedule C. If the courses were taken at a recognized college or vocational school (educational institutions eligible to participate in the student aid programs administered by the Department of Education),  you can take either the Lifetime Learning Credit or the Tuition & fees deduction (but not the Hope  or American Opportunity credits) If the above doesn't apply, you can deduct as an employee expense,  an itemized deduction subject to the 2% of AGI threshold.

In TurboTax enter at:
Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-I'll choose what I want to work on

-Scroll down to:

--Employment Expenses

---Job related expense

You can also deduct the mileage if you go directly from your work site to the school. You cannot deduct the mileage from school back to home, unless the schooling is considered temporary (expected to last less than 1 year and actually does last less than 1 year). 

NOTE: The new tax law eliminates all miscellaneous itemized deductions subject to the 2% of AGI limitation, including that one, for 2018 through 2025. The deduction was still available for 2017.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies