eliyuu

I'm an unemployed full time college student. I have been receiving only pell grant and no other income. With only 1098-T form (no health insurance) should I file my tax?

MichaelMc

If you are not being claimed by your parent(s) or anyone else as a dependent, you must file a federal tax return if your gross income is at least $10,350 for 2016.

If you are being claimed as a dependent, you must file a return if any of the following apply.

1. Your unearned income was more than $1,050.
  2. Your earned income was more than $6,300.
  3. Your gross income was more than the larger of—
    1. $1,050, or
    2. Your earned income (up to $5,950) plus $350.

Finally, if you have earnings from self-employment of $400 or more, you must file a tax return and pay self-employment tax (the employer's and employee's share of Social Security and Medicare taxes) on that income.