turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ekbeyer

I have entered my 1099-Q for money from children's 529 to pay for K-12 education but where do I enter the qualified K-12 tuition?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

I have entered my 1099-Q for money from children's 529 to pay for K-12 education but where do I enter the qualified K-12 tuition?

Neither the 1099-Q nor the K-12 Education Expenses need to be entered into TurboTax.

If the 529 distribution was used entirely to pay for qualified education expenses for your elementary student, it is not taxable. 

Since education expenses for K-12 are not eligible for an Education Credit, just keep records of expenses you paid with the 529 distribution.

Click this link for more info on Costs for Private Schools. 

[Edited 03/24/2020 | 11:47 AM]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Neither the 1099-Q nor the K-12 Education Expenses need to be entered into TurboTax.

If the 529 distribution was used entirely to pay for qualified education expenses for your elementary student, it is not taxable. 

Since education expenses for K-12 are not eligible for an Education Credit, just keep records of expenses you paid with the 529 distribution.

Click this link for more info on Costs for Private Schools. 

[Edited 03/24/2020 | 11:47 AM]

tkraines

I remember entering my Elementary school childrens' expenses like this in 2018 but I did not see this in the 2019(current year) turbo tax. 

Did something change? 

chop

it does not ask What level(s) of school did this student attend in 2018?' .  on the 2019 tax program so now what am i supposed to do? i am being taxed for these distributions when everything went to tuition

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I entered a form 1099-Q in TurboTax and the last screen in that section instructed me to go to the "education section" section of TurboTax to enter the education expenses. As I continued on, I was asked what level of school the child attended, and on the next screen I was asked for the education expenses.

It is possible that you didn't continue far enough into the routine to see those questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies