Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

krisclif

How do I specify undergraduate vs graduate student loan interest paid in the deductions section of the Massachusetts return?

The federal return does not ask whether student loan interest paid was from undergraduate or graduate student loan interest so you just enter the total. Once you arrive at the student loan interest deduction section in the Massachusetts state form, you are told to break it down into undergraduate and graduate loan interest.  But the total amount from the federal has been put into the "undergraduate" box already. This box is not editable. I need to put the amount in the "graduate" box.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I specify undergraduate vs graduate student loan interest paid in the deductions section of the Massachusetts return?

As I recall, you just put the amount from the graduate loan in the "Graduate" box and continue on, and TurboTax will do the math (reduce the undergrad amount).

View solution in original post

7 Replies

As I recall, you just put the amount from the graduate loan in the "Graduate" box and continue on, and TurboTax will do the math (reduce the undergrad amount).

I have a mix of graduate and undergraduate loans. My 1098-E doesn't break down how much of the interest I paid went to each type.  Is there a way to figure this out?

This is my question, too
hegreen3

I am also very confused at this
melrwest

Did anyone figure this out?

Your can ask the loan company if they have this information. If not, you will just have to do a good faith estimate of the breakdown (for example, allocated based on the original principal of the loans). Keep a record of how you arrived at your numbers.
amkmadden

I have been dealing with the same problem (loans from UG and grad are lumped) and our servicer has been unable to provide us with the amount. I just found an answer from another thread, and it looks like you approximate the interest paid in grad based on the proportion of grad:undergrad monies in the total. See here: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4283042-for-the-massachusetts-student-loan-interest-deduction-how-...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies