jado227

I have a question about the american opportunity credit

I used turbotax to file my taxes this year, and they recommend the american opportunity tax credit. Upon a google search, it might look like it's not available to those under 24. Are there exceptions to this? I'm 23 and turbotax still offered it to me.

Fern

There is no age requirements for the American Opportunity Credit.  However, if you are claimed as a dependent by someone else’s tax return, you are not able to take the credit.  

Parent's can claim children up to age 24 as dependents if they are full time students. If the parent is claiming the child, then the parent is eligible to take the American Opportunity Credit.

Fern