Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
chill-mo

I did not receive a 1098 from a school where i graduated and they wont provide the federal tax ID, what can i do?

KarenJ2

If they are an "eligible" education institution, they do not have to send you a 1098-T if one of the below situations exist:

• The student is a nonresident alien. However, the student can request that the school file the form.
  • Tuition and expenses are paid completely via grants and scholarships.
chill-mo

Thank you. However neither of these apply and the tuition was paid out of pocket.

JohnW222

Try calling the school's accounting or payroll department. 

If your school is a public institution, you can run a search in the IRS's Tax Exempt Organization Search page.