turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not get my first stimulus check, how can I find out if I was elegible and how can I claim that money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I did not get my first stimulus check, how can I find out if I was elegible and how can I claim that money?

The 1st and 2nd checks are now based on your 2020 eligibility.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

@garsi86-gmail-co

IRS FAQ Am I eligible for the first stimulus payment? states:

A1. Generally, you were eligible for the first Economic Impact Payment if you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you  were not claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number valid for employment.  We issued payments of $1,200 ($2,400 for a joint return) to individuals whose adjusted gross income (AGI) did not exceed:

• $150,000  if married and filing a joint return
  • $112,500 if filing as  head of household or
  • $75,000  for eligible individuals using any other filing status
    Payments were  reduced by 5% of  the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

If you have not received one or both of your stimulus checks, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is accepted by the IRS, you will have to amend your 2020 Federal tax return and correct the entries and calculations to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit.

If you have e-filed your 2020 Federal tax return and the tax return is rejected by the IRS, you will have to correct the entries and calculations to receive the Recovery Rebate Credit as well as correct the entries that generated the rejection.

In TurboTax Online, you are prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.  You may also access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies