Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I cosigned my daughters student loan can I claim the interest for it if she is my dependent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Melaine

I cosigned my daughters student loan can I claim the interest for it if she is my dependent?

Yes, since you are the cosigner that means your are legally obligated to repay the loan and you can also deduct the 1098-E for your dependent on your tax return.

You can claim the deduction if all of the following apply:

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan in tax year 2016
  • You are legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan
  • Your filing status is not married filing separately
  • Your MAGI is less than a specified amount which is set annually, and
  • You or your spouse, if filing jointly, cannot be claimed as dependents on someone else's return

Please see the following IRS link for more information: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc456.html

In TurboTax when you enter the 1098-E, please select the box for yourself as the "borrower."

[Edited 1/28/2017]

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Melaine

Yes, since you are the cosigner that means your are legally obligated to repay the loan and you can also deduct the 1098-E for your dependent on your tax return.

You can claim the deduction if all of the following apply:

• You paid interest on a qualified student loan in tax year 2016
  • You are legally obligated to pay interest on a qualified student loan
  • Your filing status is not married filing separately
  • Your MAGI is less than a specified amount which is set annually, and
  • You or your spouse, if filing jointly, cannot be claimed as dependents on someone else's return

Please see the following IRS link for more information: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc456.html

In TurboTax when you enter the 1098-E, please select the box for yourself as the "borrower."

[Edited 1/28/2017]

so the 1098 E form has her name on it. but when I go to put the information into my tax return it only shows mine and my husbands name to select. what do I do?
HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

Please see the last line of the edited answer for further instructions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Additionally: We know that if the full-time student child is 24 years or older at the end of the tax year, that immediately disqualifies them as a dependent. However, the parents can still pay loan interest, and claim the loan interest deduction for loans that originated when the child qualified as a dependent. See IRS Topic Number 456 - Student Loan Interest Deduction. Note the part about, "... or a person who was your dependent when you took out the loan..."
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies