turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

irj

I bought a $3000 camera for sister's school use, she files her own taxes...can i claim that expense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

I bought a $3000 camera for sister's school use, she files her own taxes...can i claim that expense?

Unfortunately, no, you probably cannot claim the camera as an educational expense (or other tax deduction).  Please read further for an explanation.

Only the taxpayer who claims the personal exemption for the student on their tax return (this can be either the parents who claim the student as a dependent on their tax return; or the student herself filing independently on her own tax return, for example) can legally claim any educational tax benefits (deductions / credits) related to that student's education or schooling.

In other words, unless your sister is claimed as a dependent on your tax return, then you cannot include the cost of a buying camera, even if used 100% for school, as a educational expense.  Sorry.

However, to learn more about the topic of educational expenses, and what is allowable as well as what is not, please refer to IRS Publication 970.  A courtesy link to that document is provided below:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Thank you for asking this question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies