Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am an independent student with no income. I support myself solely through student loans. What do I put for the wages and income section.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I am an independent student with no income. I support myself solely through student loans. What do I put for the wages and income section.

You put in any bank name and $1 for bank interest received.  Even though you never received that $1.  That will make the return eligible to be filed.

If you have no taxable income then there is really no reason to even file.  But if you insist on filing then do not enter anything and print and mail the return.    You cannot e-file a zero income tax return. 

[Suggestions to enter $1.00 of fake income so that you can e-file will probably work but remember, you sign the return under penalty of perjury that the tax return is true, complete and accurate to the best of your knowledge and entering fake income is not filing an accurate and true tax return.]

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer. The only reason I am filing is so the IRS can have information on me so I can get a stimulus check since the Non-filer tool is no longer open. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

If you are a student, over age 23, and are not claimed as a dependent by someone else (e.g. your parent) you may be eligible for the up to $1000 refundable American Opportunity (tuition) Credit. That credit is not dependent on having either kids or earned income. You must be at least a half time undergraduate student. There's even a loop hole available to claim the credit, if you are on scholarship.

Note that the $1 of interest gimmick is just to allow you to E-file.  You can still file a paper return with $0 income in order to claim the stimulus payment.

To be eligible for the stimulus, you not only must not actually be claimed as a dependent by someone else, you must also not even qualify, under the dependent rules, as a anyone's dependent.  

See full rules at: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

The non-filer tool creates a return with $1 of income.  The same thing that you can do yourself.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies