turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a freshman in college and I did not pay any student loans nor my school tuition. My parents are the ones that pay for my tuition. So do I put “No, I did not”?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I am a freshman in college and I did not pay any student loans nor my school tuition. My parents are the ones that pay for my tuition. So do I put “No, I did not”?

Yes.

First of all, make sure you are filing as a dependent if your parents can claim you, and it sounds like they can. You do this in the "Personal Info" section by selecting Yes, Someone else can claim me and Yes, Someone else will claim me. 

If you are just starting the TurboTax program and that is one of the yes/no questions, answer no. As a dependent, you won't be entering any education expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Since you are a dependent, you should not enter the 1098-T or any information about school, except to check the full time student box in the personal info section. Don't enter the education section of TurboTax. 

Entering school info, when you don't qualify for anything just leads to mistakes.

The one excerption is if any of scholarship is taxable. This usually happens if  box 1 exceeds box 5 by less than $4000)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies