laurel-marie

I am a freshman in college and I did not pay any student loans nor my school tuition. My parents are the ones that pay for my tuition. So do I put “No, I did not”?

KrisD15

Yes.

First of all, make sure you are filing as a dependent if your parents can claim you, and it sounds like they can. You do this in the "Personal Info" section by selecting Yes, Someone else can claim me and Yes, Someone else will claim me. 

If you are just starting the TurboTax program and that is one of the yes/no questions, answer no. As a dependent, you won't be entering any education expenses. 

Hal_Al

Since you are a dependent, you should not enter the 1098-T or any information about school, except to check the full time student box in the personal info section. Don't enter the education section of TurboTax. 

Entering school info, when you don't qualify for anything just leads to mistakes.

The one excerption is if any of scholarship is taxable. This usually happens if  box 1 exceeds box 5 by less than $4000)