turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report withdrawals from a 529 plan that is not used for education? I know the earnings are taxable and there is a penalty of 10%.

The earnings distribution was not used for educational expenses. The basis portion of the withdrawal is not taxable But the earnings portion is. Where on my federal return do I enter these earnings?

How is the 10% reported as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

How do I report withdrawals from a 529 plan that is not used for education? I know the earnings are taxable and there is a penalty of 10%.

You have to enter your 1099-Q in TurboTax. As you do not have education expenses, TurboTax will automatically tax the earnings and calculate the penalty of 10% and include them in your tax return.

In TurboTax, you can enter your form 1099-Q by following these steps:

• In TurboTax, open your tax return
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Deductions & Credits on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to All Tax breaks, locate the section Education and click on Show more
  • Click Start next to ESA and 529 qualified tuition programs (form 1099-Q) (see attached screenshot).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

You have to enter your 1099-Q in TurboTax. As you do not have education expenses, TurboTax will automatically tax the earnings and calculate the penalty of 10% and include them in your tax return.

In TurboTax, you can enter your form 1099-Q by following these steps:

• In TurboTax, open your tax return
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Deductions & Credits on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to All Tax breaks, locate the section Education and click on Show more
  • Click Start next to ESA and 529 qualified tuition programs (form 1099-Q) (see attached screenshot).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mf93436

So I have entered the 1099Q information as instructed.  However, while it lists the expense on the form, it has not calculated the penalty or changed the total.  Am I missing something?  Is there another step?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies