In TurboTax (TT), enter at:
Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)
-Scroll down to:
-Student Loan Interest paid (form 1098-E)
It is an adjustment to income (above the line deduction). So, you do not have to itemize to get the student loan interest "deduction".
To enter your student loan interest (Form 1098-E) into TurboTax. Follow these instructions:
- Open your return in TurboTax.
- In the Search Box type 1098-E (upper- or lower-case, with or without the dash).
- Select Jump to link in the search results.
- Answer Yes to the question Did you pay any student loans?
- If you land on the Here's your 1098-E info (or Here's what you paid in student loan interest) screen, you can either edit an existing payment or add a new one.
Follow the onscreen instructions