Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Samba1

How do I enter tuition payment info into TurboTax if I received a T2202 tuition form from the Canadian University my son attends instead of the 1098-T issued in US?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

How do I enter tuition payment info into TurboTax if I received a T2202 tuition form from the Canadian University my son attends instead of the 1098-T issued in US?

To enter your information in TurboTax Online, 

1. Click Pick up where you left off
  2. Click Federal in left pane
  3. Click Deductions & Credits tab at top
  4. Scroll down to Education and click the Show more dropdown
  5. Select Start to the right of Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
  6. Answer No on the Did you get a 1098-T for the year 2021? page
  7. Check the I qualify for an exception box on the OK, let's see if you qualify for an exception page
  8. From there, you can enter your relevant information.

You can claim the AOTC if you haven’t received a Form 1098-T because your school isn’t required to provide you one, if:

• You meet all other eligibility requirements for the credit, 
  • You can show you were enrolled at an eligible educational institution, and 
  • You can substantiate the payment of qualified tuition and related expenses.

You can see if your school is on the eligibility list at the U.S. Department of Education’s Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs and the participating schools list at the Federal Student Aid page.  See Education Credits: Questions and Answers for more details.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Assuming the Canadian University is an eligible institution*, enter at:

In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

--Education

--Education Expenses

Answer no, when asked if you have a 1098-T. But check the box that you qualify for an exception. That will allow you to enter your expenses.

To be eligible for the tuition credits, the course must be taken at "an eligible institution". The school should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational institution. In general, an eligible educational institution is an accredited college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution, including accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately-owned, profit-making) postsecondary institutions. Additionally, in order to be an eligible educational institution, the school must be eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the Department of Education. 

Enter your school at the link below, to see if it's on the dept. of education list.

https://ope.ed.gov/dapip/#/home

https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/international

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies