You can change the answer for the American Opportunity Credit as follows:
- Type 1098-T in the search bar.
- Select the Jump to 1098-T.
- Continue with the onscreen interview.
- On the Was XXX working on an Associate, Bachelor's or Graduate Degree? screen, answer Yes.
- Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the Had XXX earned four years of college credit before 2020? screen, answer No.
- Continue with the onscreen interview until complete.
Qualifications for claiming the American Opportunity Tax Credit are:
- You paid an eligible student's qualified education expenses for higher education at any college, university, or vocational school with a student aid program administered by the US Department of Education.
- The eligible student is you, your spouse, or a dependent on your return.
- For the full credit, your MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) is less than $90,000 ($180,000 if you're filing jointly).
- For a reduced credit, your MAGI is between $80,000 and $90,000 ($160,000 and $180,000 if you're filing jointly).
An eligible student is defined as a student who:
- Is enrolled at least half-time in a program leading to a degree, certificate, or other recognized credential.
- Had at least one academic period beginning during the year.
- Didn't claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit for more than three previous years.
- Didn't complete the first four years of post-secondary education before the beginning of the year.
The American Opportunity Tax Credit cannot be claimed on Married Filing Separately returns nor under any of these conditions:
- The student is a dependent on someone else's return.
- The student is a nonresident alien (unless the student's spouse is a resident and they file a joint return treating both as residents, or the parents claim the student as a dependent on their joint return).
- The student had a felony drug conviction.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Alternate way to get there:
Go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary". Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to “Education Information”.