turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I apply a 1098T on a" parent plus loan" ? I pay but child is no longer a dependent? I cannot transfer loan to their name and they cannot claim expense either,

We have a parent plus school loan for my 22 year old daughter.  I get a 1098T each year and for the next 10 years.  She is no longer a dependent.  Who gets to claim it as a deduction?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

How do I apply a 1098T on a" parent plus loan" ? I pay but child is no longer a dependent? I cannot transfer loan to their name and they cannot claim expense either,

The 1098-T has nothing what-so-ever to do with any loan. Did you mean 1098-E par chance? If so, the person named on the 1098-E can claim the interest. Since your daughter is not listed as a borrower or co-borrower on the loan she has no legal obligation to pay the loan. So she can't claim it. But consider this:

Since your interest payment is an itemized deduction on SCH A it may not make any difference at all. Remember, until the total of all itemized deductions on SCH A exceed your standard deduction, those itemized deductions make no difference in your tax liability. For 2018 the standard deduction is:

Single or MFS $12,000

MFJ - $24,000

Student loan interest is not an itemized deduction. It is an adjustment to income. Up to $2500 of interest can be entered on line 33 of Schedule 1 on the 2018 tax return.  It directly reduces the amount of income that is taxable. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies