Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I enter Study Abroad program fees when no 1098-T is provided?

My daughter studied abroad last summer.  I paid her program fee from my NC529 account.  The fee didn't include travel costs, food, or books.  The professors from her university traveled with the group and taught the classes (she got credit for 3 business courses).  The university doesn't provide a 1098-T for Study Abroad, or anything similar.  I have the bill showing the fee and it's payment.  How can I enter her program fee so that I can offset the amount of money withdrawn from the 529, as shown on her 1099-Q?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

You seem to be aware of the issues with deducting study abroad so I will not go into that.  If you are sure your expenses are deductible, you can enter them in TurboTax this way under tuition:

If your Form 1098-T does not show the total tuition that was paid during 2017, you should enter the total you paid and not what is on the 1098-T.  

When you go to enter Form 1098 - T into TurboTax, there will be a blue highlighted questionWhat if this is not what ______ paid to this school?  Click on this question.

new box will appear that says, Enter the Tuition Paid.  Here you'll enter the full amount of tuition you paid during 2017. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieH1

You seem to be aware of the issues with deducting study abroad so I will not go into that.  If you are sure your expenses are deductible, you can enter them in TurboTax this way under tuition:

If your Form 1098-T does not show the total tuition that was paid during 2017, you should enter the total you paid and not what is on the 1098-T.  

When you go to enter Form 1098 - T into TurboTax, there will be a blue highlighted questionWhat if this is not what ______ paid to this school?  Click on this question.

new box will appear that says, Enter the Tuition Paid.  Here you'll enter the full amount of tuition you paid during 2017. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies