Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Nkm171964
Returning Member

I am graduate student and has got a stipend for summer research work. That is like a scholarship. No other income. where do I claim it on TT2018.

As a medical student in a Midwest state. But I did summer research/seminar presentations in new York for stipend of $3200 for a hospital. They have not given me any tax documentation. I do not have any other income. I do receive loans to pay for tuition for med school in the state where my college is located. I don't know where and how to report this $3200 of stipend/scholarship from New York. Also, would I also have to do taxes for New York or for the state of my college? Thanks in advance. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I am graduate student and has got a stipend for summer research work. That is like a scholarship. No other income. where do I claim it on TT2018.

You will need to report this a self-employment income.  You can claim expenses as deductions from this income, such as travel expenses and lodging costs.

You do not need to file a NY tax return as your gross income is less than $8,000 (if you are single).

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511

KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

What state do you live in and I can check the filing requirements for that state.
Nkm171964
Returning Member

I go to school on Michigan. Just a clarification- can I claim the stipend as miscellaneous income or self employed income is better way to do it? Thanks in advance.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

You need to claim it as self-employment income if you were paid for your seminar presentations.  According to Michigan, you should file a Michigan tax return if you file a federal tax return.
For Michigan : File a return if you owe tax, are due a refund, or your AGI
exceeds your exemption allowance. You should also file a
Michigan return if you file a federal return, even if you do
not owe Michigan tax. This will eliminate unnecessary
correspondence from Treasury.
Nkm171964
Returning Member

Hello, I just want to clarify this topic further.  I am a student and the research was done as a medical student doing summer research & payment by hospital was done as a stipend. There was no tax form generated by them however.

Also, when I tried to add this self employment income. it is asking for so much information and I actually do not have any expenses for that since New York is my home state. So should this be claimed perhaps as a stipend/scholarship and if so where exactly on TT can I claim this?  I already have a 1098-T with loan & minor scholarship listed there on the form. I hope to hear back from you soon. Thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies