Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I am in my first four years of school and I claim myself. I reviewed the information under why didn't I get this, but none of it applies to me. Why didn't I get it

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Hello, I am in my first four years of school and I claim myself. I reviewed the information under why didn't I get this, but none of it applies to me. Why didn't I get it

We cannot see your return or your entries here, as this is a public forum. Are you referring to the American Opportunity Tax Credit? If so, here are the AOTC requirements:

The student must be the taxpayer, spouse, or a dependent claimed by the taxpayer. The student must meet all the following requirements to be eligible.

• The student has not already claimed the American Opportunity Credit in at least four prior tax years.

• The student had not completed the first four years of postsecondary undergraduate education before the tax year as determined by the educational institution.

• For at least one academic period beginning during the tax year, the student was enrolled at least half time in a program leading to a degree, certificate, or other recognized educational credential.

• The student had no federal or state felony conviction for possessing or distributing a controlled substance as of the end of the tax year.

You also must have out-of-pocket qualified education expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello GiseleD, thank you so much for your response. I was talking about the AOTC and I do meet all the qualifications you have listed below.

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If you had out-of-pocket qualified education expenses and met all the requirements, then you should be receiving an AOTC.

Is your school considered an eligible educational institution? Per IRS.gov, an eligible educational institution is a school offering higher education beyond high school. It is any college, university, trade school, or other post secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S. Department of Education.

This includes most accredited public, nonprofit and privately-owned–for-profit postsecondary institutions.

If you aren’t sure if your school is an eligible educational institution:

• Ask your school if it is an eligible educational institution, or

• See if your school is on the U.S. Federal Student Aid Code List

If your school is not an eligible educational institution, then you will not be eligible for the credit. 

@alabasterhenrybr

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

by chance are you a dependent of your parents or CAN you be a dependent of your parents? (those are two separate questions).  if yes, to either one of them, you would not be eligible for AOTC.

Hello NCperson, No to both of these questions. I fully support myself.

Hello GiseleD, thank you for your time. My University does qualify for the credit and I paid almost all expenses out of pocket.

how much is in Box 1 and Box 5 of Form 1098T? how much was your income in 2019?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies