Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Full-time student - 5 months enrolled?

My daughter was a full time student at a university in 2022.  Her classes ended in April and her graduation was May 2nd.  Is she considered enrolled for 5 months since she graduated in May or enrolled for 4 months since classes ended in April?   Her earned income was less than half of her support.   So if she was a full time student, she is not eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit.  If she was not a full time student, even with earned income less than half her support, she is eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit.  This question also impacts whether I can claim her as a dependent.  There is no scenario where I can claim the AOC due to income.   

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The determining factor is when did the term end?  If the published school term ended in Apr then May will not count.  If the published term ended in May then it does count.  

Graduation date is not a factor; there may be only one sometimes two grad dates per year for a school and many students will actually have finished months earlier.

Yes, you are correct on the rules for determining the eligibility for the refundable part of the AOC and the full-time student status test for dependency testing.      

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!  That makes sense.  I found a published school calendar that shows the Spring term ending on April 30th.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies