turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8863 p2 - How do I check Yes for Line22a 3?

I think I should report tuition expenses paid for last Spr2020 on this TY2020 return so it matches with the 529 reimb I took last Jan2020.   On Form 8863 p2 there is a question on line 22 a 3:    Did the student receive form 1098T for 2019 from this institution with Box 7 checked?     TT has this checked No, but in fact it should be Yes.  The form won't allow me to change it. 

We did get a 1098T for 2019 that had a higher # for tuition paid.  I didn't think anything of this last year since our 529 reimb in 2019 was only for Fall 2019 (1st semester at college).   Now, I'm realizing I prob messed up the timing of my payments to the school vs my reimbursements from 529. Paid  spring tuition on 12/30/19 but didn't get 529 reimb until Jan 20.

Is there a way for me to check this box as Yes?  If so will that help validate (to the IRS) my other data entry showing that we paid more in 2020 than what is showing on this year 2020 1098T?

Neither 1098T forms from 2019 or 2020 have anything in box 2, 3, 4 or 6, but box 7 is checked on both.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

At the 1098-T screen, in TT, there is a place to check box 7 (you have to scroll down).

To get back to that screen, go through the entire education interview until you reach a screen titled "Your Education Expenses Summary".  Click edit next to the student's name. That should take you to a screen “Here’s your Education Summary”. Click edit next to the section you want to change; tuition, in your case (click edit next to the school name).

Yes that 1098T screen for 2020 has the box checked for Box7.   What I'm referring to is actually related to 2019 and the follow-up screen "Did student Receive a Form 1098T from school in 2019?"    On that screen I choose Yes, he did get a 1098T for 2019.  Then a 2nd question comes up that says "Was there an amount in Box 2?"   There wasn't an amount so I choose No here.  But if I choose Yes, then a 3rd question comes up that says "Was Box 7 Checked?"  This is the box 7 I think I should check.  So as a work around I guess I can say Yes there was an amount in box 2?   This does correct the issue on form 8863.

I've spoken to the school and they don't fill in amounts for box 2 (seems to be a defunct thing now anyway).  But I have detailed records from them of what was billed vs what was paid, so I thought it would be wise for Form 8863 p2 to have the box checked Yes at line 22a 3 as "proof" that there are expenses that are double-reported but only reimbursed once from the 529.

Yes, Box 2 is really no longer used. I have yet to see one, anyway. I think your work a round was good. Provided you didn't miss any room and board or any other payment required to be made from the school (internet fees, fitness if they have one, etc.) including books required to be purchased from the school. Those costs can add up, as I am sure you know!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies