turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sqm5045

Form 1098-T question.

I graduated from college last December. My 2016 1098-T form shows amounts billed in box 2 only for Fall 2016 semester (box 1 is empty), but scholarships and grants (box 5) are shown for both Spring 2016 and Fall 2016 semesters and therefore they exceed amount in box 2. I paid my college expenses for both semesters in 2016, but according to my 1098-T it looks like instead of getting educational credit I will need to pay extra tax for the difference. Please clarify this situation.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Form 1098-T question.

If you believe the Form 1098-T does not reflect the corrected tuition amount you paid out of pocket, you can make adjustment in the Form 1098-T box 2.

Enter Form 1098-T in TurboTax program exactly as it appears on your form, then click on the link in blue that says "what if this is not what I paid to this school?" (below box 2) to enter the full amount of tuition you actually paid. See the attached screenshots below.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Form 1098-T question.

If you believe the Form 1098-T does not reflect the corrected tuition amount you paid out of pocket, you can make adjustment in the Form 1098-T box 2.

Enter Form 1098-T in TurboTax program exactly as it appears on your form, then click on the link in blue that says "what if this is not what I paid to this school?" (below box 2) to enter the full amount of tuition you actually paid. See the attached screenshots below.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies