Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
sqm5045

Form 1098-T question.

I graduated from college last December. My 2016 1098-T form shows amounts billed in box 2 only for Fall 2016 semester (box 1 is empty), but scholarships and grants (box 5) are shown for both Spring 2016 and Fall 2016 semesters and therefore they exceed amount in box 2. I paid my college expenses for both semesters in 2016, but according to my 1098-T it looks like instead of getting educational credit I will need to pay extra tax for the difference. Please clarify this situation.

LinaJ2018

Form 1098-T question.

If you believe the Form 1098-T does not reflect the corrected tuition amount you paid out of pocket, you can make adjustment in the Form 1098-T box 2.

Enter Form 1098-T in TurboTax program exactly as it appears on your form, then click on the link in blue that says "what if this is not what I paid to this school?" (below box 2) to enter the full amount of tuition you actually paid. See the attached screenshots below.

LinaJ2018

Form 1098-T question.