turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1098-T Box 1 Amount - Do I Claim th Box 1 Amount, or What I Paid for Tuition in the Calendar Year 2020.

Box 1 of 2020 Form 1098-T (Payments received for qualified tuition) shows $300. 

I paid $200 for academic periods in 2020 and $100 for academic periods in 2021.  (Given that Box 7 is checked, I guess that is highlighting that the school entered $300 rather than $200.)    

What amount do I claim on my 2020 1040? 

The $300 in Box 1 or the $200 I paid for academic periods in 2020? 

(In the later case I guess I would make a note to to claim the $100 for the academic period in 2021, when I file my 2021 1040.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Form 1098-T Box 1 Amount - Do I Claim th Box 1 Amount, or What I Paid for Tuition in the Calendar Year 2020.

Claim what you actually paid in 2020, even if it was for the first term of 2021. 

The most generous credit, The American Opportunity Credit, can only be claimed 4 times in your life time.  It is worth up $2500. each year.  You may not want to use up one of your 4 times on on a mere $300.

But, the AOC can only be used on undergrad and vocational schools.  Grad school is not eligible. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Claim what you actually paid in 2020, even if it was for the first term of 2021. 

The most generous credit, The American Opportunity Credit, can only be claimed 4 times in your life time.  It is worth up $2500. each year.  You may not want to use up one of your 4 times on on a mere $300.

But, the AOC can only be used on undergrad and vocational schools.  Grad school is not eligible. 

Thank you Hal_Al. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies