Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For 529: I am aware that we can use up to $10,000 per child per year for K-12 tuition. Is it only for K-12 tuition or can that also cover books, supplies

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

For 529: I am aware that we can use up to $10,000 per child per year for K-12 tuition. Is it only for K-12 tuition or can that also cover books, supplies

Money from a 529 account can be used for major post-secondary education costs such as: Required tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment.

Hi @Bsch4477 , thanks for your reply. What about for secondary (K-12) education costs? 

Unfortunately you can only cover tuition costs for K-12. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Is it only for K-12 tuition or can that also cover books, supplies?

A. Only tuition.

Thanks for your reply. 

I have a follow up question: for homeschooling kids who take online courses, can 529 be used to cover the online courses tuitions?

Students can use a 529 plan to pay for online courses if the tuition and fees are paid to an eligible institution.  An eligible institution is generally a college. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

From IRS Publication 970:

Eligible elementary or secondary school. An eligible
elementary or secondary school is any public, private, or
religious school that provides elementary or secondary
education (kindergarten through grade 12), as determined
under state law.

I take that to include online schools.

@Hal_Al wrote:

From IRS Publication 970:

Eligible elementary or secondary school. An eligible
elementary or secondary school is any public, private, or
religious school that provides elementary or secondary
education (kindergarten through grade 12), as determined
under state law.

I take that to include online schools.

Your answers are in chapter 8 here.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

Presuming that the online school is accredited in your state, the fees would count as eligible tuition.  

Agree with definition of eligible schools. The question is whether a child who is home schooled is considered to be enrolled in a tuition based online school fitting the description of an eligible school. 

@Bsch4477 

I don’t understand the objection. Suppose 2 students. John Smith is failing math, and takes an online summer school course for additional credit so he can move to the next grade level. Jane Doe is homeschooled, and her mother is not good at math, so Jane takes the same online course. Why wouldn’t the online course fees be considered eligible tuition for both students?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Poster is asking about  K-12 education for a 529 distribution.   I don't find a requirement in Pub 970 for the tuition to be paid to an "eligible institution" to qualify. I only find that tuition must be paid "at an elementary or secondary (k-12) public, private or religious school of the beneficiary’s choosing".  

Additional Reference: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-offers-guidance-on-recent-529-education-savings-plan-changes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies