Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

fellowship - NO 1099-MISC nor 1098-T supplied by university



I am assisting my daughter with her taxes.

I have a 2 part question.

She is a first year PhD student who received a fellowship.

Her University does not supply 1099-MISC nor 1098-T.

How do we report this?


Since she moved out of state, has an apartment, and her school has been remote, can we deduct part of her rent and expenses as her workspace and workspace necessities?

Thank you .

2 Replies
Level 15

fellowship - NO 1099-MISC nor 1098-T supplied by university

  • If a graduate student is a degree candidate, the amount of any award used for tuition, required university fees and required books, supplies and equipment is not subject to tax. The amount used for other expenses such as room, board and personal travel is subject to tax.

  • Rent and other expenses you mentioned are not deductible. 
Level 15

fellowship - NO 1099-MISC nor 1098-T supplied by university

If some of the fellowship is taxable, because it's used for living expenses, you do want to enter it as Scholarship, not other (misc) income, particularly if your student is still your dependent*.


In TurboTax (TT), enter at:

Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:


  --Education Expenses

You will eventually reach a screen to enter scholarship. Be sure you also enter the offsetting expenses (tuition , fees, course materials).


*Scholarship is treated as earned income for the purpose of calculating a dependent's standard deduction.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings