Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pvdbroek

EIN/TIN for Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam

My son is a US citizen studying at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. To file our taxes we need the EIN?TIN for the Vrije Universiteit but I cannot find it anywhere.  Does someone know or know where to find it?

Paul 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You'll have to ask the school.

You can't find the school's EIN because it probably doesn't exist.   Although, technically, a foreign school on The Dept. of Education's approved list is eligible for a tuition credit, you cannot claim the American Opportunity Credit without an EIN (this rule is fairly new).  You can still claim the Lifetime Learning Credit. 

§25(g)(i)(b)(3) includes an absolute requirement for the EIN of the educational institution.

"No American Opportunity Tax Credit shall be allowed under this section unless the taxpayer includes the employer identification number of any institution to which qualified tuition and related expenses were paid with respect to the individual."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/25A

pvdbroek

Thanks for your response. I think the answer is not corect, though. Through the research support teams of the Vrije Universiteit I was able to obtain the EIN/TIN for that university. Likewise I received the EIN/TIN of another university in the Netherlands. 

My take is that any non-US university that is eligible to pursue US grants, has an EIN/TIN. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Thanks for letting us know. You are the first person, that I am aware of, to report this, in this forum.  With the rule change, it makes sense that the eligible foreign schools would now go to the effort of obtaining a US tax ID number. See https://fsapartners.ed.gov/knowledge-center/library/electronic-announcements/2018-08-06/general-subj....

Are you sure the number you got is an EIN and not just the Dept. of Education number? 

pvdbroek

pretty sure. I also have a FAFSA number for each institution, and those are different from the EIN/TINs. Plus the offices explicitly gave them as EIN/TINS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies