Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Education Credit

Has the Hope Scholarship Credit or American Opportunity Credit been claimed for this student for any 4 prior tax years?

So, I had claimed the AOC last year on my 2022 returns. I graduated in the summer '23 and was a full-time student. Do I select 'yes' or 'no'? I would assume 'no' since I only claimed it for 1 year (2022). 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Education Credit

If you were claimed as a dependent on a parents' return in any earlier years you should check with them too and see if they used the AOTC for you on a return---since their use of it for you "counts" toward those four times.   As long as it has not been used a total of four times you are good to answer NO.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Education Credit

Correct. You can claim the credit for a total of 4 tax years, but they do not need to be consecutive years. If you have only claimed the credit one time, you would say no.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Education Credit

How far back does this date to? The last time I was in college or university before I returned in 2022 was 2013-2016.

Education Credit

It goes all the way back to whenever you were in college before.   The AOTC can be used a total of four times for a specific student---so that is why some folks need to check with others who may have claimed them as dependents and who may have used the credit on their tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Education Credit

2009 was the first year for the AOTC. If you were a half time or more student in 2013-2016, and your parent's dependent, they almost certainly claimed all or most of those years. Your claiming it in 2022 may even be invalid. 

Education Credit

Wouldn't it transfer to Lifetime Learning Credit (which is for as long as you attend a Uni or College) after AOC?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Education Credit

Q. Wouldn't it transfer to Lifetime Learning Credit (which is for as long as you attend a Uni or College) after AOC?

A. Yes. After TT sees that you already took the AOC 4 times, it will give you the LLC.  The LLC is non refundable. It can only reduce an actual tax liability.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies