Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

diaz1108

Do I need to include info from my 1098-T if I am a dependent and did not pay my own tuition?

I am a dependent who had a part-time job last year during college, but I did not pay for the tuition on my own (it was paid by my family). However, I did receive grants that I put towards other college expenses (textbooks, supplies, etc.). Do I need to include my 1098-T information on TurboTax if this is the case?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyW

Do I need to include info from my 1098-T if I am a dependent and did not pay my own tuition?

No. If you are being claimed as a dependent on your parent's tax return, then your parents will file the 1098-T. If you are not being claimed on your parent's taxes, then you would enter the 1098-T.

To learn more about the 1098-T and how to enter it, see the article below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4194409

diaz1108

So regardless of any grants or scholarships I received, I still don't need to file?
AmyW

If your parents are claiming you, then they will enter the information on the 1098-T. The document will need to be filed with the IRS.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies