turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I have to pay taxes on tuition remission?

I receive tuition remission as an employee of a university. That means I do not pay the school any money for tuition. It gets reported on my 1098t as scholarship/grant, although in reality it is part of my contract as an employee.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No. A school may provide its employees with tuition breaks, or cash grants for payment of tuition, without that benefit being considered taxable income to the employee. The only exceptions to this rule are if a choice is offered between cash and the tuition reduction, or if the availability of the benefit discriminates in favor of highly compensated employees. If this discrimination occurs, the benefit is taxable, but only to the highly compensated employees.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No. A school may provide its employees with tuition breaks, or cash grants for payment of tuition, without that benefit being considered taxable income to the employee. The only exceptions to this rule are if a choice is offered between cash and the tuition reduction, or if the availability of the benefit discriminates in favor of highly compensated employees. If this discrimination occurs, the benefit is taxable, but only to the highly compensated employees.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies