cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dependent college student summer income

Hi, My son who is 20, full time student in college earned around $11,000 this years during summer internship and on campus job.  Can i still claim him as a dependent since i paid most of his college expenses (over $45,000)?  Should i include his income with us or he needs to file his taxes separately?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 5

You can claim your son as a dependent if you provided more than half of his support in 2016 (which is the case).

You do not add your son's income on your tax return.

He has to file his own tax return and indicate in his return that Someone else is claiming him as a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Delete my children dependants they were already claimed by someone else
Level 5

You can claim your son as a dependent if you provided more than half of his support in 2016 (which is the case).

You do not add your son's income on your tax return.

He has to file his own tax return and indicate in his return that Someone else is claiming him as a dependent.

View solution in original post

TubroTaxMinhT, how do you reconcile the statement "You can claim your son as a dependent if you provided more than half of his support in 2016" with the claim that the condition is that the student did not provide 50% of his or her own support? Do you know what the relevant IRS publication would be to confirm your response?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3041074-qualifying-dependent-full-time-student">https://ttlc.intui...>
Level 5

The two statements are compatible. If the parents provided more than half of the child support, then the child did not provide 50% of his or her support.
Please see this IRS document:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch03.html#en_US_2016_publink1000170876">https://www.irs.gov/pub...>
Level 2

ok thanks, want you say half of support what are we talking about, because my granddaughter works part time so she able to buy own cloth, go to college and works part time,  her scholarships been paying for her books and school,  i bought her a car for her own transportation, had to put it in my name for insurance purpose it would have cost double. she pays no rent or utility or food and ect!! anything else, in which i don't  ask anything for that her school is more important at this time! and yes she been living with me for 4 years! i have always claim her but now she is working part time . Any help by you or the agent will help!

Employee Tax Expert

If she is living with you rent free, you are providing her meals, and you furnish her a car, then she should qualify as your dependent.  The IRS has an online tool you can use if you to be sure: Whom May I Claim as a Dependent?

Returning Member

Dependents didn't come over from last year on page one for 1040.  They are in the easystep questions.  I need to delete them

Employee Tax Expert

If the "dependents" did not show up on the Form 1040 there will be no tax consequence to leaving them in the step by step.  However, if you wish to clear them out you should go to:

1. PERSONAL INFO
  2. [Continue]
  3. Select the dependent and choose [EDIT]
  4. Now select [Delete]
  5. and confirm

That will successfully clear that dependent.