Carebear8587

Can private school tuition be written off on taxes

My children go to Catholic school and I was wondering if I can write off their tuition?
HelenaC

No, the cost of private school (K-12) doesn't qualify for any education deductions or credits on your federal return.

If your child attends a daycare program before or after school, whether at a public or private school, you may qualify for a child care credit.  Also, some private school tuition for special needs students may be eligible for a medical deduction.

A few states allow deductions for K-12 education and/or home schooling expenses.  If your state is one of them, we'll ask you about it when we get to your state return.

Carl

No. The tuition and fees deduction expired at the end of 2017 and was not renewed by congress for 2018 and beyond. However, you can use 529 funds for this and not pay taxes on the 529 distribution.