turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct a Mentorship, It was through a state program not an accredited school, for higher education learning credit?

State has implemented higher standards to keep credentialed job. Offered a Mentorship to help get up to level. Can this be deducted as a educational expense even if it was not through an accredited school?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Can I deduct a Mentorship, It was through a state program not an accredited school, for higher education learning credit?

Unfortunate, since it doesn't meet the requirements of being an "Eligible Educational Institution" you can not report those cost towards an education credit, but you can claim the expenses as job related expenses.

The problem with that is the fact that job expenses are reported on Schedule A, Itemized deductions, and it is subject to a 2% floor (Only expenses over 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income count).

Additionally, if you do not itemize deductions, you use the standard deduction instead, the expenses would not be used.

If you do itemize, so the job expenses will be added to your deductions, you would enter them under:

Sign into your account

Take me to my return

Pick up where I left off

Federal Taxes

Deductions & Credits

Scroll down to "Employment Expenses"   Show more

"Job Expenses for W-2 Income"   Start

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunate, since it doesn't meet the requirements of being an "Eligible Educational Institution" you can not report those cost towards an education credit, but you can claim the expenses as job related expenses.

The problem with that is the fact that job expenses are reported on Schedule A, Itemized deductions, and it is subject to a 2% floor (Only expenses over 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income count).

Additionally, if you do not itemize deductions, you use the standard deduction instead, the expenses would not be used.

If you do itemize, so the job expenses will be added to your deductions, you would enter them under:

Sign into your account

Take me to my return

Pick up where I left off

Federal Taxes

Deductions & Credits

Scroll down to "Employment Expenses"   Show more

"Job Expenses for W-2 Income"   Start

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies