djlifesaver

Can I deduct a Mentorship, It was through a state program not an accredited school, for higher education learning credit?

State has implemented higher standards to keep credentialed job. Offered a Mentorship to help get up to level. Can this be deducted as a educational expense even if it was not through an accredited school?

KrisD

Unfortunate, since it doesn't meet the requirements of being an "Eligible Educational Institution" you can not report those cost towards an education credit, but you can claim the expenses as job related expenses.

The problem with that is the fact that job expenses are reported on Schedule A, Itemized deductions, and it is subject to a 2% floor (Only expenses over 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income count).

Additionally, if you do not itemize deductions, you use the standard deduction instead, the expenses would not be used.

If you do itemize, so the job expenses will be added to your deductions, you would enter them under:

Sign into your account

Take me to my return

Pick up where I left off

Federal Taxes

Deductions & Credits

Scroll down to "Employment Expenses"   Show more

"Job Expenses for W-2 Income"   Start

KrisD

Sign into your account

Take me to my return

Pick up where I left off

Federal Taxes

Deductions & Credits

"Job Expenses for W-2 Income"   Start