turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can F1 changing status to H-1B use the exception to the 5-Year rule?

Hi All,

Tax year 2020 will be my 6th year as a student (2010 and 2011 as J1, while 2017, 2018 and 2019 as F1), hence, I will exceed the 5-year life time rule for students and trainees. On the other hand, there is an exception to the 5-year rule for students as long as they meet the requirements set by IRS here:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/the-closer-connection-exception-to-the-subst...

If I have changed status in 2020 from F1 to H-1B on October 1, 2020, can I still file for the exception for the days in the US in 2020 that I was on F1 (January 1 - September 30, 2020), given that I have transitioned away from F1 and I am no longer a student at the end of 2020?

If I can exempt the days on F1 I will not meet the substantial presence test and I can file as a nonresident alien. If I can not exempt the days under F1 as I have changed visas in 2020 and I am no longer a student, I have to file as a resident.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to this IRS link, you are eligible to be an exempt individual for 5 calendar years (2017through 2021) so you can file exempt for 2020, even though it is a part of a year.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Dave, the complication is that I was on J1 visa in 2010 and 2011, which years count towards the 5-year life time limit based on my understanding. Do you read it differently?

Thanks,

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies